Tuesday, February 2, 2016

A Look Into Fibromyalgia

First off, to get understanding right away, let me ask you this: have you ever been falling asleep and reach that point where you are still "consciously aware" of what is going on around you but are unable to rouse yourself to movement or speech? i.e. you are napping on the sofa and hear the children fighting but cannot speak or move to stop them...because you are asleep, or supposed to be?

OK, ground work laid. 

That was me, last night....for a couple of hours. I could literally hear myself moaning and whimpering but could do nothing about it. I could not wake myself enough to stop. I know this to be true as I finally did wake up fully at 3:30 am and got out of bed to talk to my sweet hubby (who was preparing for a grueling day of work) and he had sadly been laying awake listening to me. My heart aches for him. That he lost sleep over me.

You see, although not all nights (less than more) are like this, there are those nights and actually days in which the pain can be this strong. Medicines are good at taming the beast but not always fully effective. I am not complaining as I know that I have many more good days, active wonderful days in which I fully enjoy life, my family and can work, serve and shop without feeling frustrated. 

They call Fibromyalgia the "Silent Disease" as those who suffer from it look to be without any issues. We do not look diseased in our outward flesh...tired yes, but don't we all have those days! 

I put these words to cyber-paper not to draw attention to me, on the contrary, my goal is to bring awareness to this relentless affliction that so many out there suffer from and for those who have but do not have an official diagnosis. Please know that there is help, there are those who will listen and there ARE ways to help yourself cope and feel better! 

I find that submerging myself in things that truly bring me joy is the best medicine. Keeping active, making myself get up in the morning, doing what I need to do and then what I want to do can make days much better. But I also know that there are days when I need to just sit. Relax. Take it easy. I cannot do it all like I used too. 

And I keep this little saying in my head: It is a Great day to HAVE a Great day!


2 comments:

  1. So, what does 14 out of the 25 symptoms mean? So sorry that you struggle with this, dear one!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to my Dr. that is the minimum amount to be officially diagnosed along with a Dr. checking the pressure points on your body.
      And not every day is such for me...just some and I can deal with "some". I just wish it did not so blatantly effect my hubby! Love you Kate!

      Delete