Friday, February 14, 2014

A Thursday Night After Grocery Shopping

What do I do on a Thursday Evening after I get a smokin deal on black angus ground chuck?

You know, like finding 3 pound packages of said ground chuck for $5 a package,

Yes, that is a buck sixty seven a pound, NOT kidding.

I picked up two packages along with a package of ground chicken for two bucks.

I always add ground chicken or turkey to my meatballs to stretch the meat and it makes me feel like I am helping my family in a small way to cut back a bit on their red meat intake....probably just fooling myself, but in my head, I rock when I do things like this!

There were three packages in the meat case, but since there was an elderly gentleman looking over my shoulder I just could not bring myself to grab all three and he was grateful that he got the last package.

I am normally a cut throat person and take all that I can so this was completely out or the ordinary for me.

Seriously? No.
Now back to reality.

Well, this is what I did!


 I flash freeze the meatballs on sheet pans and once they are frozen threw, I will put them in freezer bags and tuck them carefully away to take on vacation this summer! I can feed our family of 14 a yummy Italian meal for $12! Awesome!!!!
 

 My hubby got a meatball meal for dinner, along with a Caesar salad that I threw together from things I already had on hand.

 An important component in both the meatballs and salad is the cheese! I "grate" my own in the food processor
Ok, OK, grind
from a block of parm or romano.
 
I had romano in the fridge that I was saving for just the right meal....and this was the occasion!




And of course, hamburger patties were prepared to keep on hand for my hubby to have at the ready for those evenings when I am not home and he cooks for himself....and he loves a good burger!
I, on the other hand, love a good photo of a burger, but I do not eat them. I have not ever been a huge fan of meat and most days, weeks, months eat my salads and fish, the occasional skinless chicken breast and once in very great while a bite or two of meat, but not very often at all....just not my thing.


But what is my thang is a freezer stocked with food on the cheap!

3 comments:

  1. Rock On oh cutthroat one! LOL do you have a special ingredient to a yummy meatball?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is trista, not amador. i cant remember my google account password at the moment, i do however remember his....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trista, I think I am pretty standard with my meatball. egg, bread crumbs, herbs, fresh garlic and I grate my onion.
    BUT...my Italian mother in law told me long ago....Italians do not cook their meatballs before putting them in the sauce. they put the meatballs in raw and allow them to cook in the sauce.
    So I guess that is my secret....cook them in the sauce!

    ReplyDelete