Wednesday, February 1, 2012

What Can You Make Out Of Dusty Basement Things?

Well, I have one of those dusty things in my basement...


OK! LOTS of those things, but zeroed in on this one.


A Lonely Lamp.


So, this is how the story goes...


You can see the literal dust, I was not kidding about that!


I cleaned the lamp, and very lightly sanded it...emphasis on lightly.


Next, I used blue painters tape to keep


the paint from getting where I did not want it to be,


the socket and cord.





Then I proceeded with spraying the paint.


You must take your time in this,


many thin layers give a much better finished product


as apposed to trying to cover all in one coat.
Oh, by the way, this is the lampshade.

Sad little lamp shade.


I must do something about this!!


Disclaimer here.
I have asthma,
so spray painting and using a spray adhesive all in the same night,
was not an option. And as it is 50 degrees here and damp,
doing this outside was also not an option.
I chose to use craft tacky glue instead.
Keeping it a light, even coat gives the same outcome as the spray,
just more time consuming and messy.

I actually bought this material!
The only thing that I purchased in this DIY project.
Total cost, $2.50 with tax. Sweet!!
Taking care to keep the material wrinkle free,

you will get a very good outcome.
After you apply the material,
carefully trim and finish the edges by
running a bead of glue around the inside rims (upper and lower)
and rolling the material to the inside of the shade.


And this is the finished product!

I am always amazed at what a little bit of paint

that was just sitting around in the basement,

waiting to be a creative catalyst,

and a bit of material can do!!


I mean, really.....it WAS a dust collecting, unused, table lamp.


And now IS one pretty amazing light!


And if my youngest daughter actually reads my blog through to the end,


and chooses to comment on it, the lamp is hers!!!


Not kidding!


Check back to see if "A" responds to this.


Will she get the lamp?


Or will it be put to good use in OUR Home?

No comments:

Post a Comment