Tuesday, September 17, 2013

And The Verdict Is....

My Niece is back!!!
Yes, that is correct...her brain is in tact, working and knowing us all!! I cannot help but weep while writing this.
As I visited with her last night, she asked me (through lip reading and her pointing at letters to spell a word) to get her an over the counter ointment for an itch that she could not endure any longer. It took me all of 1.2 seconds to get to my car and drive to the pharmacy to get it for her!!

She communicates through "mouthing" words (which I am terrible at reading) and trying to write. Her right side is not completely awake yet, so her ability to write is very poor, but it will come.

Today (9-17-13) she will be moved by ambulance to a rehab facility about 2 hours south of where she is now. She will remain there for 8-10 weeks until she can put weight on her very injured legs and begin physical therapy. At that point, she will be moved again to another phy therapy facility for intense treatment.

Sometime in the next few weeks, the work to get the tracheotomy out of her throat will be done. We cannot wait to hear her voice again!

The sad thing in this major hurdle is that now that her brain is awakened enough to know who she is and we are....there is knowledge of extreme pain in her body. My heart breaks for her. As I helped the nursing staff last night to roll her and move her I trembled at the look of pain on her face.

Linda loves her Aunt Paula and held my hand sooo tight, kissed my cheek twice! and it makes me cry to be privileged to walk through this very, very hard time with her. To kiss her back. To love on her and to see what a Mighty God we serve to have brought her back to us.

I stand amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment