Thursday, January 31, 2013

Party Ready...DIY

I am going to start this post oddly.
NOT ONE OF THE PHOTOS USED IN THIS POST
HAVE BEEN PHOTOSHOPPED OR CHANGED
IN ANY WAY.
This will be important if you choose to read all the way to then end of this DIY adventure.
 
Making "stained" glass jars is nothing new.
But I put my own twist on mine.
I am planning a large party which will not happen for
a few months, but I do not want to wait till
the last minute and stress, so I am starting
early and hope to use the jars more than one time.
 
Making clear glass jars colorful.
1. Choose jars which you will no longer be using.
 
2. Set your oven for the lowest temp you can use.
Mine is 170
 
3. Mix up your colors out of mod podge, food color,
and a few drops of water. I mixed in small disposable cups.
 
3. Coat the OUTSIDE of the jars evenly with the mixture...this is important if you plan to use
the jars for vases, or any reason that they
would need to have water in them, which I do.
 
4. Place them upside down on a lined bake sheet.
I put mine on skewers so they would not stick to the foil.
(the above photo is taken through the window of my oven.
5. Place them in the oven for approximately 20 minutes. (They will not be completley dry, but enough to touch without leaving finger prints.)


You will see that the jars clear and look simply lovely!
 
NOW, this is where I departed from the norm
and put my personal spin on them!
I built a couple of "tri-pods" to put the rings
of the jars on to enable me to paint them.
Yes, that is what I said.....paint them!!

I chose colors that matched the jar colors and I think it tops the jars with a much lovelier finish.
 

 
 

 Here they are with the inspiration that pushed me in the direction of the colors that I choose.
 
Join me please in a sigh of prettiness.
 
S.I.G.H. Filled with white flowers....oh yeah!
 
Yep, I like it. I like it alot!
 
And now you know why I put the disclaimer at the top of this post...the brilliant colors are real, not touched up by any photoshopping or changing of the pictures at all.


2 comments: