Monday, February 25, 2013

Picture Mounting

During a visit last year to New Orleans I snapped a couple of pictures on Canal Street. I had them made into 12x18 size prints and stuck them away for a project that I wanted to do.
Well this past week was project finishing time.
I wanted them to mimic canvases so I knew the course of action to be taken. I did show you a project a while ago on my blog which you can find here:http://inpayne-paula.blogspot.com/2012/07/craft-night-at-our-house.html
 
We had some wood left from our built ins and it was 12 inches wide....saaweet!

 I cut two planks to the correct length and then painted the edges with black paint.
 Next, on the back of each I marked two inches down
 and dead center (6 inches) to be used as the "hanger" for the prints.
 I then found an appropriate drill bit,
 and drilled on the "spot" at an angle so that when hung, it will not fall off of the nail when children run thru the house and rattle the walls, which would NEVER happen at my house...aahem.

 Next, time to "mount" the print to the boards.
Mod Podge to the rescue, and remember, it smells sooooooooooooooooo bad, so be ready!
 Generous with the mod podge on the board. A plastic, flat tool of some kind (credit card will work well) to smooth out the picture on the mod podge is needed.


I allowed it to dry over night and then applied mod podge over the print for 2 reasons.
1) to seal the picture
2) to give it the "look" of canvas, which can be achieved with a foam brush. I personally love that look, but if you do not, eliminate the top coat of mod podge and leave it simply the print. 

 You can see from the photo below how the print is off the wall and does mimic a canvas look.
If you choose white (flat) paint on the edges, it will look even more like a canvas, but I choose the black based on the colors in the pictures.



In the picture above, you can see the texture that the foam brush left on the photo...kind of giving it an antiquesque (that is a word in my vocab!) canvas look. 
 
Be brave! If you try this and dislike it, it is only a picture that can be re-printed. I spent only two fifty for each print for the size that I choose.
So for 5 bucks, I now have on my wall two very large pictures that I personally love (as does my husband)and it only took about an hour total of my time!


1 comment:

  1. very nice looks great on the wall placed oike you placed them

    ReplyDelete