Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Saturday Project

I was in need ummmm want ummmm, ok, lets start again.

I have a kitchen Island and it was perfect for our kitchen until we bought a new fridge....

it's on steroids, seriously, like hulk size.
 
It is wonderful!!! We have needed the room over and over again since we bought it and have loved it from the beginning......except for

the fact that our island now no longer fits in the center of the kitchen and even when pushed up against the windows, it is still intrusive.

Answer to my dilemma...

I took my saved birthday and Christmas money (gifts from parents and others) and took a trip to Ikea.

Bought an island kit that was much narrower than the one I had
 
(now our children are the proud owners)

and knew if I put a coat of paint on the blindingly light natural wood finish,
it could be something I would love.

Ya know I have to make things my own!

When I said kit, I meant it. LOTS of pieces.





Lots of sanding (oh the sanding...injuries occurred, don't ask) and lots of painting.

Thankfully some of the 50 pieces were a true help so that no taping off had to happen.



I did not need to use this method after all, but had it set up before I knew I would not have to use it...but if you are painting legs or boxes etc. putting it up on "blocks" of some kind keeps the painted legs from sticking to the paper and gives you a nice clean edge!



I apologize that I have no painting or building pictures, but after my injury occurred (stupid sander!!) I completely forgot about snapping pictures...you would have too, believe me!

But in the end, I think it came out just right!


 

I lost a shelf and drawer from the previous island and had to thin out the bowls, serving dishes, etc when bringing things back to the kitchen.




 

Just right!

1 comment:

  1. ahh it's always nice to follow directions in 3 languages lol

    ReplyDelete