Monday, February 9, 2015

Throw Pillows

We had a snow day last week and I chose to use it to complete a few of those little projects that have been starring at me for hmmmm, months.

I am re-upholstering a chair and also making a couple of pillows for the chair.

This is how I made the pillows.


First, you need to know the size of the pillow insert, mine is 14 x 14.

I cut one square 15 x 15 to allow for 1/2 inch seams

The second was a rectangle 19 x 15

I cut the 19 inch length in half and ironed the edges 1/2 inch on each. Run a quick straight stitch seam on each of the ironed edges.


Now lay the cut "flaps" over the 15 inch square, overlapping the seamed edges all with right sides together to make a 15 inch square again.



Sew all four sides with a simple straight stitch. The opening is now the envelope flap in the center of the case.

Turn right side out and insert the pillow for thru the flap. 
I do it this way to enable the ability to remove the pillow when washing is needed.




I also wanted a round "bolster" type of pillow.

First I decided on the diameter size of the pillow. 
(see kids, you really DO use math after graduation!!!)

For me it was my salad plate. Cut 2

I decided on the length I wanted the pillow (12") and then needed to know how much material was needed to go around the pillow....this is going to get really complicated so stay with me here....

I extended my tape measure and rolled my plate along it to find the circumference of the plate. (again, see kids, you really DO use math after graduation!)

Still with me? Ok, good.

I cut a 13 inch wide, 29 inch long piece of material (yours will vary according to your plate size!) and sewed all the way along one of the circles using the 29 inch length.

Sew the other circle the very same way...all with right sides together.


To finish, sew a  straight seam across the 12 inch length leaving enough of an opening to stuff the pillow with fiber fill.

Once stuffed, I used a quick whip stitch to close the pillow and voile'!


Be careful not to over stuff your pillow of you will have "q-tip" ends...not pretty.


p.s. I know that I have shown how to make square pillows previously however a pretty pillow is always worth sharing again! And the bolster pillow is a new DIY for me. I hope you enjoy!

1 comment: