Tuesday, February 3, 2015

My Lamp Story

I bought the most amazing lamp two months ago.

It was originally $58 but I got it for the price of $14!!

The lamp base was made of "bubble glass", you know, that luscious glass with small bubbles in it that makes it look old and possibly nautical? 

Yes, that glass.

It was oblong with an oval shaped shade and was stunning.

Why am I speaking in past tense?

Because while I was working on my closet organizer, screwing in more shelving

It Fell.


To it's death.


Shattering into hundreds of pieces of glittering shards of bubble glass.

I cleaned it up and saved the electrical parts of it along with the shade.

Then I cried at the burial.


I was not really sure why I saved the parts, probably because I have been married for so many years and it is what my Hubby would do, so I did.

Wandering through our second home, Menards I spotted a large metal vase and of course it was on clearance so I snapped it up because it was the right size for a new lamp!

Oh yes, I did!


And this is how I did it.

Drilling a hole in the vase, not on the bottom as that would make the lamp unstable from the cord coming out of it.

I threaded the wiring through the newly drilled hole and up into the body of the vase.

Next some way to affix the "lamp" part of the old lamp to the new vase had to be figured out.

My husband decided that the only way to stabilize the top would be to drill through the neck of the vase and bolt it together.

I had a light bulb moment and thought of using rivets! 

I know, I am impressed too!

My hubby riveted it together.

I wired it, you know, electrical....yes I did!

And it works...without sparks or smoke!

And this is the masterpiece....not as pretty as the original...

However, it is large enough to work where I intend for it to go and

it is still a lamp worth having!
   

  


No comments:

Post a Comment