Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Dog Nappin'

I bought a dog bed....big news I know!

or not.

I was certain in the store that both dogs would fit nicely in the bed.

My hubby thought differently.

Soooooooooooooo, I wanted to make one as I had spent my wad on the store bed. 

Free works for me most of the time and this was no different.

I found an old pillow that had been flattened from over use!




I then went to my basement to see what I could find for material.

I found a nice tan stripe that will work nicely!

I measured the pillow length and width, cut the top and bottom from the material.  I wanted it to look a bit more of a bed style and not just a pillow cover which meant that I needed "sides".
I cut strips of the material 3 inches wide and 10 inches longer than the circumference of the pillow.
This way the "sides" are 2 inches tall after sewing (there is that 1/2 inch seam allowance!) and I had plenty to fold in when getting to the end of the sewing. 


I finished the edges of the back of the pillow sides as I wanted to have flaps to stuff the pillow into and take it out of for easy washing....you will see that in a moment.

Sew right sides together all around the pillow top attaching the side to the top.

Repeat with the bottom....can you see here the opening I left to put the pillow into? If you are confused, I explain it in more detail in this post: http://inpayne-paula.blogspot.com/2015/02/throw-pillows.html



This is the blanket that was in use and ALWAYS a tripping hazard, 
probably the dogs way to get back at us for clipping their nails and giving them baths....we are such terrible humans!!!

As you can tell from the pictures, he took right to it!


OR NOT.

If not for my hubby commanding him to stay, Ernie would have bolted.


I feel so appreciated.



The bed is done and it really was about a 45 minute start to finish job.
And the best thing ever.....BOTH DOGS SLEEP TOGETHER IN THE BLUE AND GRAY BED!
Again....I feel so appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment