Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Healthy Christmas Cookies

Peanut Butter Christmas Cookies

Now these are my own recipe and are:
Gluten free
Sugar free
Dairy free

I know, I know…that in itself sounds…ummm…not so good. But in the words of my husband, “those things are dangerous!” I myself am not a big peanut butter person, in fact, I have never had a peanut butter sandwich in my life, as I would never eat a spoonful of peanut butter as I really don’t like it. But when covered in chocolate, it is quite tolerable and even yummy.

1 cup almond flour
1 cup coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ c. honey sweetened peanut butter
½ c . coconut oil
½ c. xylitol
½ c. brown sugar sub.
1 tbl black strap molasses
1 egg
2 tbl. Heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla
Sugar free Hershey’s mini candy bars

Mix the flours, soda and salt together and set aside
Cream the peanut butter, coconut oil, xylitol, brown sugar sub, and molasses together. Add egg, cream and vanilla.
Add in the flour mixture in 3 additions. Roll into small walnut sized balls and put on baking sheet and sprinkle with a small amount of additional xylitol.
Bake at 350* for 10-12 minutes. Pull out and top with ½ a bar of the mini candy bars. Let cool and eat in moderation.

Now, all the ingredients that I use, aside form the candy bars are organic and or natural. Xylitol is a tree bark

and the brown sugar sub is a sugar alcohol (not alcohol like booze, but the cast off of the natural process of crystallizing pure cane.
Coconut oil is used in place of Crisco or butter, making them dairy free. It is a natural solid oil that is trans fat free and better for you than lard.


Please!!! know that even though these are sugar free, organic (without the candy bar, but there are organic, sugar free chocolates out there) gluten free and dairy free, they are NOT WITHOUT CALORIES! So moderation is still needed if you are concerned about calories.
BUT, there is a lot less guilt by eating something yummy, that is not full of over processed junk, that will make the Christmas Season a bit easier to face.
Have an amazing Wednesday!!
The coconut flour is found at health food stores The Almond flour can be bought, but I grind my own from raw almonds, in a coffee grinder that has never had coffee beans in it...you must chop the almonds first, and put mine through a sieve to make sure there are no large pieces of almond in it, which I just toss those pieces back into the grinder and finish the job!




No comments:

Post a Comment