Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Making Pillow Covers

I promised my youngest daughter some cute pillows
for her couch. For her birthday.
Which was October 13th.
I did them October 20th
So sue me.
Ok, really don't.
She knew about them.
She knows that the party is much more important
than the gift.
Really. YES. REALLY!!
I mean, what fun is a gift without a party?
YES. REALLY!
 
OK, OK, I get it, I think differently than others.
But I am a child of NO birthday parties. None.
A December 22nd birthday leaves one with
"an extra gift under the tree"
and no birthday parties.
So now you know.
This is why I party with abandon
when it comes to my families birthdays!
 
And back to the real deal. The Pillows.
This is how I did it.
First, fun material....because every one
should have something fun to look at!!
True story.
So, I choose a material that would look great against a dark brown sofa and bring some color to a really pretty yet neutral living room.
 
I choose 16x16 pillow centers.
Cutting the material 17x17 to allow for 1/2 inch seams,
I then cut the backing 17x21 to allow for the "over flap" (yes, my technical word for it) that the back needs to be able to easily insert the pillow inserts. (redundant I know)
We and our Daughter and Son-In-Law have dogs.
It is important for us to be able to launder the pillow covers, therefore I make pillows to allow for ease of laundering.
Next, I cut the 21 inches into 2 pieces, 8x17 and 13x17. Hemmed the 8 inch length and 13 inch length with a 1/2 inch seam allowance.
Easy Peasy....laid the backs overlapping to become 17x17 to match the front of the pillows.
Sewed 1/2 inch seams in a square and turned them right sides out.
Insert the pillow inserts (once again, redundant)
and voila'! We have fun, pretty pillows
that will look amazing on our Daughter and Son-in-Laws sofa! 

Happy Birthday to You!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment