Monday, October 22, 2012

Productive Saturday!

I had a rather productive Saturday.
Are you just so impressed?
Well, maybe you should be!!!
 
Actually, I completed a couple of projects
that were long over due. ahem.
We will not dwell on that.
 
OK, back to the important stuff,
Curtains!!!
These are my current living room curtains.
Nothing wrong with them, just not dreamy,
light and bright, as I want.
 
I found some amazing extra wide stripe
curtains once on the Pottery Barn web site.
They were $250. Waayyyyy out of
our budget, but I could not forget them.
There had to be a way to have them,
or at least somthing close.....aannndddd,
You know me.....why buy when I can make!
(well, PB does not sell them any longer,
so I really have no choice)
 
On to the "find a way"
 
I found one site that told me to buy white
linen curtains and paint the stripes on.
Makes sense, other than I cannot find off the shelf
curtains long enough for my windows.
 
This was my fix.
I found curtains in "sail cloth" at a major
discount store. And again, they were too short
for my windows, so it took 2 sets of curtains
for each of my windows. But at $10 per pair,
I still came in at $20 per window.
 
I measured my window length and divided by 6
because I decided that 6 stripes were perfect for me.
 

I marked where it was to be cut with a simple pen and then made the straight cuts.
Next, I cut the curtains per my measurements
starting with the khaki color for the top and
ending in the white.
Being sure to cut the white from the bottom
to save the hem and cutting from the top of the khaki color to keep the rod pocket in place.
 

Next, I simply made 5 straight seems on each
of the panels and that was that!
I had no hemming to do, no rod pocket to make
as it was all there for me...just simple straight
seems!!
I know, right!!!!!
It almost seems wrong to have custom made
curtains with so little work!
It took about 2 hours, but there was alot
of ironing to do, as the curtains needed to be ironed
right out of the package to ensure an accurate
measurement and the seems had to be pressed
after the sewing.
 
TaaaaaDaaaaaa!!!!
I really like the brightness that the new curtains
bring to the living room.
 
I also love that we live on the water and this
style of curtain lends itself to a kind of
"sea cottage" feel.
Yes, I am a happy girl, and it was a very
simple fix! 
 


 
P.S. I did make two windows worth of curtains,
so please dont fret that I am living in a room with split personality!


No comments:

Post a Comment