Monday, March 10, 2014

Old Jars??

Something simple to turn that vintage jar into something new and usable.

This is not something I have come up with.

These have been made many times over. Pottery Barn has them for you already made.

Of course you will not get it for $5. (photo - pottery barn - cost $149)

If you make it your self, you CAN have it for five bucks.

Here is how I did it with zero power tools.

Find a vintage jar (I got mine raiding my Mother's cupboard)
 
Find a lid to fit,
This can be a canning ring with seal or a solid lid like mine.
Take the ring from the light fixture and draw a ring on the lid....this is where you will need to cut the hole for the light bulb.


I "punched" holes in the lid on the circle I had drawn.
A hammer and nail or screw will work nicely....please make sure to have a scrap piece of wood under to keep from damaging the surface that you are using.
Next, I used a small pair of tin snips to finish cutting the circle out of the lid.


I then sanded the lid and place dit on screws to keep it elevated above the paper to keep it from sticking to the paper after the painting was done.
Paint it what ever color you would like....I painted this one blue as the jar has a blue tint, but it will get re-painted in black as I did not like the finished blue.


 
Next, I inserted the light cord into the hole and attached the light fixture. (which I had purchased at IKEA some time ago for under 5 bucks, but I think they cost five now)
 







 
My intention for this is to light the deck during a romantic dinner with my husband....
 
Now if the snow will melt!
 
Oh, and warm up past 35 degrees
 
Not asking for much.....am I??


No comments:

Post a Comment