Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Cabbage Salad (my take)

My Dad used to request a cabbage salad that came from his family, who were not German....my Mom's family on the other hand, very German (Bingenhiemer is the family name....yep, you really do not get any more German than that!) and I would always get to help with this salad.

It really brings me back to my childhood in a great way. (along with bashing catfish in the head with a huge hammer to knock them out so my Dad could gut and skin them....yes, you read that correctly)

So, I want to share this recipe with you.

It has only 3 ingredients!

1 small head of green cabbage

(I suppose you could use red, but I'm not messin with tradition here!)

6 slices of bacon - diced and fried crispy and you WILL be using the grease from the bacon!


From 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup white vinegar - to your taste, I like a lot of vinegar (I suppose we used white because you can buy a gallon for like eighty nine cents!)



Why yes, I have one of the coolest liquid measuring cups ever!

Cut up the entire head of cabbage into about a 1/2 in dice (now you know why my Dad had me help!) and place the raw cabbage in a large bowl.


Cook bacon and grease & all pour the hot frying mess over the cabbage!!

Stir in the vinegar and eat while warm. (Because cold bacon grease has never helped anyone get greens down!)

That's it!

I know it sounds a bit odd, but that salty, sour crunch is really a thing to try. We only ate it about 3 times a year (good thing, cause I want to keep my arteries going for a while!) and it is really not that bad calorie wise, as the vinegar and cabbage are about void of calories.
It is gluten free!

I hope that you will try this...it really is amazing and not something that you will have every tried, unless you grew up in my home!

No comments:

Post a Comment