Monday, January 23, 2012

Granola Time!!

I make my own granola.


My husband has a special diet as he is type 2 diabetic.


I personally have not had sugar in 6 years.


I do however eat natural sugars like stevia, agave, true maple syrup, etc.


I do try to do things as organically as possible if the cost is doable.


Soooooooooooo, here is the way that I make granola.


(You can use normal supermarket ingredients to keep the cost super low if you are not concerned about organics)


2 cups oats - not instant oats, whole oats are the best.


1 cup nuts & seeds - I use 3/4 cup almonds & 1/4 cup flax seed


(I grind it slightly)




1/2 cup - your choice - chocolate, raisins, dried fruit,


or skip these all together.


1/4 tsp. sea salt (fine grind)


1 tsp ground cinnamon (organic is really the best here, as you will get a stronger, fresher flavor)


1 1/2 tsp real vanilla extract


1/4 tsp TRUE stevia (not the bulk supermarket kind)


1/4 cup agave nectar






And for the binder - if you are not a sugar free person, skip the agave and use 1/4 cup brown sugar (you can get organic)


OR 1 egg white beaten till frothy.


Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Pour the frothed egg white over and mix well.


Bake at 350* on a lined bake sheet (parchment is best) for 20 - 25 minutes.


Allow to cool and put in air tight container.


This is such a great snack or cereal in the morning. Put on yogurt or over ice cream!


If you would like to make granola bars, up the egg whites to 2 and pack into the bake sheet, increase time to 25 - 30 minutes, cut while hot and then allow to cool. These will not be the strongest bars, but they will stay together!


Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment