Friday, April 6, 2012

How To For Cake Stands

Remember these beauties????

Here are the "how to's" for the cake stands that I showed yesterday!
 First of all, you need to go to Goodwill or some other second hand shop and find plates the size and shape that you want, color does not matter as you will be painting them the color you DO want them to be! Mine just happened to all be clear glass, which I have to say, makes the centering job much easier!
You have to have the appropriate glue. I bought mine in the painting section at our local wal-mart, I chose the outdoor adhesive because I knew I would be washing my finished cake stands at some point or another. The glue must be bond-able to glass!
 For my two small cake stands, I used simply votive holders as the base!
They are embellished, but plain would work amazingly well also.
Find center on the bottom, and put a dot (I used a sharpie)
 On the bottom of the plate you are using, mark center also.
I drew this circle to mark where the glue would go.
Do not worry about the marks, they will be painted over in the end and never show.

Now, put a bead of glue on the area you want to adhere to the bottom of the votive (my votives were concave in the center, so I only glued the perimeter)
I also rimmed the bottom of the votive with a small bit of glue(not sure this was even needed), and then with a light amount of pressure, set the votive onto the glue which was on the plate! Leave for 24 hours, out of the reach of little hands, and you will have a sturdy cake stand at the end of your 24 hour wait.
Take outside (if not raining of course) and spray paint it in several light coats to the desired colors you want.
CAUTION: paint the bottom first! That way you avoid possibly scratching the top when you turn it to paint the bottom. Just sayin. Ahem.
 You can see from a bottom shot of the stands, that you can notice where they were glued, but if your guests are turning your cake stands upside down to inspect your amazing abilities, then maybe they should not be allowed to have dessert!! Just sayin!
In the end, you will have cake stands that are the exact size, shape and color that YOU want them to be...and for a pittance!
Mine cost, well, the largest one, $1.50. The smaller ones were all $1. each.
I had the paint already, and the glue was about a dollar fifty, but I used a fraction of it, so I did not add the fraction to the total cost of the stands.
This is a simple and non-time consuming project, that yields something quite amazing and useful in outcome....and you will be proud to have been the creator of these beauties!

I pray you all have a blessed and amazing Easter weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment