Thursday, November 10, 2011

Blessing Bowl Full Of Peppers!!

The last of the garden blessings came in on Monday afternoon. I walked out to peek, and found 8 green peppers, still firm and growing. They were not as big as those that I picked during the peak season, but a huge and unexpected blessing for sure!!
My husband asked me to make stuffed peppers with them, so I gladly jumped into the process.
Now, that may not look the same as at your home. Since my husband has type 2 diabetes, I need to keep the carbs as low as possible. That means NO rice, low amounts of bread crumbs and a large meat to pepper ratio. So, I try to add as much flavor as possible, and that starts with roasting the peppers over flame, steaming them and scraping the char off. Not a hard process, but a bit more time consuming than using a raw pepper.
I make sure to mix all the wet ingredients into the bowl before mixing the ground beef in, to prevent the meat from getting tough.
My wet ingredients are: ½ grated raw onion, 2 cloves grated fresh raw garlic, 1 whole egg, 2 tbl. Milk, ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese and my herbs….which are usually fresh from my plants. Mix in the 1 pound ground beef and ¼ cup homemade bread crumbs just till combined.
Place some yummy canned or homemade marinara sauce in the bottom of your baking dish, fill the peppers to overflowing (the beef mixture will shrink, so you do really need to overfill) pour more sauce over top the peppers and bake, lightly covered for 40-50 minutes.
When you take them out of the oven, sprinkle as generously as you like with a bit of extra freshly grated parm
Your family will love these, I promise….and it is even better when the peppers are an unexpected blessing from the garden!!

No comments:

Post a Comment