Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Soup Anyone??

Successful Improv

I decided to use up some of our leftover turkey by making a “white chili”. Of course, in looking up a few recipes I soon realized that I did not have all of the things that they asked for.
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo….to my own devices I was left.
This is what I came up with, and it was dubbed a complete victory by my husband and put into my repertoire of recipes to be made again.

This is not a large batch, good for 2 people or 4 if served along with an entrée (a grilled sandwich would be wonderful)





And please know, that this is not the best picture of the soup...I did not take a picture until after my husband had put the leftovers into a plastic container for his lunch.

Here is the recipe:
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup chopped onion (how fine, your choice)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp white pepper
Largish pinch cayenne

¼ cup roasted bell peppers (green or yellow - mine were home canned from my garden)
2 tablespoons green Tabasco

2 C chicken stock - homemade is best (mine was)
½ water

1 clove garlic

¾ cup chopped, cooked chicken or turkey

1 can drained and rinsed canellini beans

¼ cup heavy cream

Cook onion in oil till soft. Add in dried spices and cook for another minute.
Add in roasted peppers (chopped) and Tabasco, cook for a moment till heated thru.
Pour in chicken stock and water then grate the fresh garlic into mixture.
Add in remaining ingredients and bring to boil, turn down immediately and simmer for 10 minutes.

Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips rather than crackers.
Although I did not have these things on hand, I think my husband would have loved a dollop of sour cream on top, and possibly some fresh chopped jalapeño pepper to garnish with.

All of my spices are organic, as was the turkey and peppers. I buy organic canned beans also.
This was not a complicated recipe to make, nor did it take any time at all.
The remaining turkey in our fridge is divided up into ¾ cup servings and frozen for 3 more batches of my new recipe: Paula’s White Chili

No comments:

Post a Comment