Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Breakfast Fo Dinner

Breakfast for dinner….yes? no? Do you have this at your house? We do on a very limited basis, as my husband has really never been a fan of it….until Monday night! I made pancakes with a mixture of whole wheat flour and coconut flour, a little stevia, vanilla, cinnamon and the usual wet ingredients….they were a big hit, and my sweet husband has decided that he likes breakfast for dinner…at least a few more times a year!
Here is my recipe which I concocted Monday Night:
½ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup coconut flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp pure stevia (natural sweetener)
small pinch of salt (sea salt is best)
1 egg well beaten
¾ cup skim milk
1 tsp vanilla (only real vanilla will do)
1/8 cup canola oil
Mix wet ingredients together, add into sifted dry ingredients.
If the mixture seems to thick (and that is entirely possible) add in more milk, ¼ cup at a time.
Butter the griddle (only real butter for us) and fry by ¼ cup full amounts….these are dense and require a bit lower temp and longer fry time, but believe us, they are worth it!
I personally chop some raw pecans, placing them on my pancake, and if I really want to guild the lily, I add a few sugar free chocolate chips before drizzling with a high quality sugar free (all natural if possible, like an agave, or local honey from local beekeepers, fresh from the hive) syrup, or better yet, REAL maple syrup, as that is an all natural sweetener.

I have not had sugar in 6 years. I do eat natural sugars like fruit and things of that nature. For sweetening and baking, I use as pure and natural as possible, like a stevia or another bark sweetener.
My husband is type 2 diabetic, so non-processed foods are the better choice for him, that is why I use whole wheat flour and organic coconut flours.
And honestly, it is better for anyone to eat foods in it’s most natural state, the less processed, the better. That does not mean, however, that it is low calorie, so restraint is still necessary, as much not fun as that is sometimes.

p.s. I can only find coconut flour in our small town at our heath food store, but if you are in a large town that has a whole foods or even a large grocery well stocked grocery store, you may find it a bit more easily…but it can be gotten on line from several companies, like Bob’s Red Mill (organic) which is what I use.

No comments:

Post a Comment